Friday, October 21, 2011

PETER DOIG

'Painting becomes interesting, when it becomes timeless.'


'The building took me by surprise as a piece of architecture, but it was not until I saw the photographs I had taken of the building through the trees that it became interesting. That made me go back and look at it again. I was surprised by the way the building transformed itself from a piece of architecture into a feeling. It was all emotion suddenly.'









"A picture Doig had made in 1990 of a white canoe mirrored on a lake at night, sold at Sotheby's for £5.7m. It was the most ever paid for a painting by a living European artist. Doig didn't get the money - the painting had been owned by Charles Saatchi - but in that extravagant moment, he went from being a quiet critical success to an infamous commercial one. He was, suddenly, new evidence of the art world gone mad. How did that feel?
'It made me wonder: what am I doing this for?' The way he works didn't help. He cheerfully describes his finished work as the product of 'mistake, after mistake, after mistake', a painstaking process of failing better, and talks of wanting the layered surfaces of his work to be 'slightly repellent, on close inspection'." Read the whole article here: http://outsidetheivorytower.blogspot.com/2008/02/doig-tells-tim-adams-about-lsd-fame-and.html






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...